Saturday, May 31, 2008

May I have a fig newton, please?....Bonk



I joined a group of cyclists heading out to Canyon Lake this am. I had not ridden this ride, but prepared for a 40-50 mile ride. The ride turned out to be 80 miles and the temp was quickly climbing to 100+. The ride was also filled with brutal climbs. Because I didn't take food, gu, gels, gatorade, or the like, I "bonked" big time about 1/2 way back. I managed to stay with the group up until we had 5 or 6 miles left, but at that point, I was done and peeled off the back and ducked into a CVS pharmacy.


I didn't have any $$, so I asked the clerk at the counter if he could spot me a drink. He couldn't accommodate, but called back to the supervisor, Steve. Steve came through and let me pick out a drink and snack. Coke and a Fig Newton were the selections. They tasted so good. (I'll have to drive by later and give Steve some $$ and a thank you card.)

I limped by home, jumped in the pool, (when I did my hammy cramped big time and I let out a yell that the neighbors heard I'm sure). Now I'm ready for a nap.

The scenery on the ride was beautiful. Too bad I was too dead to enjoy it.

I'm supposed to do a 100 miler from Park City, around Kamas, down through Heber Valley, over the Alpine loop, over Traverse mountain and up to Snowbird in August. We'll see if I can improve b/w now and then.

5 comments:

Jane said...

I would have picked you up, call me next time.

dulces said...

You push yourself way too hard!!
Is it really worth the pain and agony??? Would you want one of your children to be so brutal on themselves? Mom here. . . .

EuroScan said...

I'm betting you'll have snacks with you "just in case" from now on? And maybe a little tissue packet... and maybe some lip balm. Maybe that's just me.

Julie said...

Todd,

Somehow my wife stumbled into your blog and called me to read about your fun ride. You have gotta love bonkin. Nothing is quite like it and it doesn't come to the weak. They never know the true joy of that kind of delirium.

If you are starting to do rides like this then you need to join for the Leadville 100. Now that is a sufferfest. You will love it. What day are you doing the group ride in august? and who with? I'd love to join in as long as it is later in the month. My email is mikelewis90@gmail.com Good work bro. I like it.

Mike

♥ÜbRoOkEÜ♥ said...

That stinks!