Wednesday, September 26, 2007

You're the BEST!---The Power of + Expression

One of the reasons for the blog is a thought I've been cooking for awhile about the power of expression. If you think of the times in your life when you felt the best, the most confident, the most hopeful and faithful, ready to take on anything that came your way, many times you can correlate that with a compliment, kind word or recognition of some sort received from a friend, family member, co-worker or someone you respect. It also seems to happen when we've had a personal success or accomplishment. But, when we are down and self-doubting a kind word can go a long way. Even an acknowledgement of existence from a person we respect can be beneficial if we respect that acknowledging person enough. The same, by the way, goes for negative words. Especially to children, an unkind word produces the exact opposite affect of those feelings above.
We can all identify people in our lives that made us feel great. My mom did this a lot for me growing up (maybe that is why I lean towards cocky....at least my 360* evaluations tell me I lean towards "know-it-all"). My Chrismom (grandma Taylor) somehow finds a way to compliment me every time I see her, I had a mission president who is great at this, but almost to the point of being over-done (but I still appreciated it, even when I wanted to say, "ok, ok, ok, ok, stop already, I know I'm the best.")
But even with these great examples, I don't do this so well. And when I try, it seems to come across as sarcastic. But I'm going to put forth a little effort, with my kids especially.

So, just to try it out,...."you guys, reading my blog, yes you, you really are the best. And not just in a Nacho to Ramses sort of way (from Nacho Libre), you really are great. Taking time to see what I'm up to means that you really care and caring is what this life is all about. So, good for you, you are definitely on the right track, getting in the charity groove so to speak. And it makes me feel great that you care enough to read a little thought from me. So, keep it up. The Lord loves you and so do I." (Plus, only people that I know as family or as friends or through friends or family are reading this.)_
So, how did that come across? A little over-board with the "Lord loves you" part? Well, I do think you're the best anyway; and I really do think the Lord loves you, so give yourself a little pat on the back from TT.
Now, on with your day knowing that I think you are......the best! And if I think you are the best, there are surely many, many others that feel the same way. Go on now, you can do it! Go.....fight......win.....! And don't hesitate to exercise the power of + expression with your family and friends and even co-workers (if you have a real office or cube).

11 comments:

♥ÜbRoOkEÜ♥ said...

you do long good blog posts. it's SWEET! i would never be able to do blog post THAT long. (P.S. i will get on the blog header. iwill probly be done by the 27th, or 28th. i just need you to sign in, and i need mom to get me that picture that you want. love ya!)

Ally said...

Nice Nacho Lines In ThEre

Jane said...

Deep thoughts blogging. like it.

Candace said...

I really do think your blog is very interesting to read. I may try a little deeper thought for mine.

Anonymous said...

Great sentiment! I have the occasional thought that fringes upon your comment, so your articulation really resonates with me; especially since I have tons of application of late. (PS, it's Ramses. A correction b/c I care ;)

dulces said...

You are soooo right! Everyone needs to feel self-worth; especially in the family. We need to be each others best cheerleaders in everything we do. We have a great family--lets keep up the good work.

Beeswax said...

I missed out on commenting on day 1. Nobody tells me anything. Yo gabba gabba is of the devil. You are going to need an exorcism to get rid of that, plus he'll prob'ly do u a twofer on the ghost.

Lizzie said...

I am writing a paper for my body image class on how compliments or teasing/bullying can effect a person's self esteem. Would this blog count as a peer reviewed journal?? I mean we are your peers and we are reviewing it by leaving comments, and how would you site a blog for a research paper anyway??? ha ha

Shannon said...

SWEET!! I totally know what you mean about "Being ....the Best" haha
Great Statement that we should share with the Blogging world, and you are a perfect one for sharing, since you are "THE BOMB"!

We miss you guys!!

dulces said...

I am casting another vote as to your house dilema. . .move back to UTAH!
Love ya, M

Jonah said...

Thanks Todd...I needed that! ;)