Saturday, November 17, 2007

Lessons from Brigham

Brigham is teaching me skateboarding lessons so I am ready when we take the Dad's skateboard class in a few weeks.

We were out on the driveway today practicing a few turns, how to "manual" which is a wheelie stop. Then Brigham decided I was ready for the next level. So we started making turns on the ramp. All was good, until Brigham started jumping off the side of the ramp (only curb height). Then I made a mistake. The underlying mistake was thinking, "hey, this kid is only 7, if he can do it, I can do it. Heck, I've been riding skateboards since they were invented. I had one with steel wheels." I approached the ramp, made my turn, pulled a little wheelie, went off the jump, all was good until I landed. The skateboard quickly shot out from under me and I landed on my wallet, hard. I let out a grunt as I lost my wind slightly. This scared Brigham and Sophie. I'm still quite sore as I sit here on my wallet.

The worst part is that my confidence has been dinged. Am I really that old? Am I losing my inner ear? (no comments on these last points of self-reflection, please.)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I won't say anything about getting old (you're only 10 years older than I am, and I'll be 30 in 3 years). I won't say anything about inner-ear issues, because I've had those as we all know. My prognosis is that maybe the ear hair that comes with "maturity" is nestling your tympanum and hammer to the point of decreased sensation. I call it "auditory-bufawnduh vertigo".

jt said...

The two times I've been to the mall, I miss some big event that could result in me being a crazed single mother of six. The last time you were hanging Christmas lights and slid down the pitch until you were barely hanging on to the gutter by a sneaker tread, and a neighbor heard a whimper as he was headed to the park, got the ladder and saved your hiney.

Gini said...

I didn't notice that your confidence was dinged at all.. but it would have been had you leg wrestled me.

dulces said...

I hear skateboarding can be dangerous. Someone landed on their head in Orem, and even with a helmet he was DEAD! So please be careful. . ..

dulces said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
http://canyonsports.com/ said...

Good thing I wasn't wearing a helmet.

Brigham said...

Take your dang wallet out of your pocket. It's not like the creepy ice cream man was gonna roll up on you in your driveway and want you to buy a bombpop!

http://canyonsports.com/ said...

Wallet was figure of speech. I wish I had my Castanza there for add'l padding.