Saturday, November 17, 2007

Polpol Vuh.....

Jane and I recently visited The Yucatan peninsula of Mexico. Since everyone goes to Cancun and slobs it on the beach, I'm deciding to tell everyone that we went to the Yucatan (sound much more eco-vacation, jungle trekk -ish).

We visited one of the Mayan ruins (Tulum). The tour guide reminded me of a book I read in college for a Spanish class called the PolPol Vuh. It is a Mayan book, written in Mayan (no I didn't read it in Mayan or "reformed Egyptian"). It describes the Mayan version of the creation, gives some of their culture and beliefs, etc. It also touches on the coming of Christ and their thoughts on the second coming. Many dismiss these parallels as the book was written after the conquest of the Spaniards and after they had been forcibly indoctrinated with Christian beliefs. For each to decide on his own.

My takeaway.....silly Lamanites.

No comments: