Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Spanky….”Dude”

There once was a youngster named Cory.
Who burned down a barn near the quarry.
He drove a blue cloud and a brown hornet that was loud
and was called "Dude" by his favorite Aunt Mary.

As today is your birthday dear Cory.
I feel it’s my big brother duty;
to pay tribute to you
and best wished too,
on this your 36th anniversary.

You once defended our home from a Lipper.
And always added excitement at dinner.
Breakfast in bed
or sometimes on your head,
life without you would be boring.

So, now that you’re turning 36.
It makes me feel older than that group called The Styx
Not D.J. Jazzy,
Or even the Cure.
The big, fluffy-haired band from back in ‘76.

No, you're more like Metallica,
You get better with age,
Unlike Michael Jackson,
you're a star on life's stage.

Always willing to help
those of us in need.
With encouraging words
or lending your trusty steed.

Some called you Spanky and others B.C..
For a while you were Brandon.
But you've always been Cory to me.

So here’s to 36 more,
years here on this earth.
I'm sure the next 36 years
will be as good as those since your birth.


Happy Birthday!

6 comments:

Shannon said...

Way to go, you little Poet! I am looking forward to my Poem Soon (hehe), so keep it up!

Beeswax said...

I am totally digging the poems. What's a lipper?

http://canyonsports.com/ said...

A lipper is a boy who lived down the street from us in small-town North Carolina. He loped down the street, smoking and kicking the fence at our dog. He had big lips, thus the name.

Heather said...

Don't forget Lipper's brother, Teddy.

Brigham said...

Now, I know there's a band called "The Stix" but they're jazzy R&B soul women. Don't you mean "Styx"? Way cooler

http://canyonsports.com/ said...

I need to correct the spelling. Styx? Not a fan of the big hair, air bands of the 70's.