Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Jane-ey Oakley, Rodeo Queen/Country Dancer Extraordiare

On our first date, 16 yrs ago, Jane and I went to my grandpa's to ride horses. I was living with my grandparents while attending BYU and even though I helped out around the ranch, I was a very novice horseman. I knew enough to saddle the horse, but during this first date, I made one big mistake.
The mistake I made was in horse selection. I wanted to put Jane on a very tame, and trusty steed. I selected the ever gentle Daisy for her to ride. But the horse I thought was Daisy turned out to actually be "Fire Kimmy". So I unknowingly saddled-up the wrong horse, helped Jane into the saddle and sent her off walking out to the pasture while our friend, Mike Hargraves and I saddled the other two horses.

All of the sudden, we hear a faint, "help" and look back to see Jane 3 feet over the saddle and Fire Kimmy kicking and bucking like a dange PRCA bull. In fact, it was bucking very similarly to the horse you see in the photo here. Jane was holding on like a rodeo queen for a few bucks, but then bailed-off and landed on her back. Unfortunately, this is not the end of Jane's pain, because Fire Kimmy then turns and proceeds to try to stomp the life out of Jane with her back feet....raring up, stomping, raring-up, stomping, etc. I sprinted over there thinking she was near death. Miraculously, but still very painfully, Fire Kimmy had only landed one direct blow to her thigh (can you say Charlie horse?).

We would've taken her to the hospital, but didn't for fear of Grandpa or just fear of admitting to the accident.

So instead of going to the hospital, we played a game of basketball, well h-o-r-s-e and planned our evening activity of country dancing.

We met up later at the Star Palace where we swung, spun, twirled, lifted, slid and boogied all the while Jane grimacing in pain but toughing it out nonetheless.


So here's to you Jane-ey Oakley, Rodeo Queen/Country Dancer Extraordinaire!

6 comments:

jt said...

ouch! definately worth the pain, however, seeing where we are today, happy & healthy. thanks for the date..xo

Heather said...

Man! No wonder no one is ever allowed to ride the horses! Sorry Janer! I've been bucked off a horse too, and it hurts!

Ally said...

I tagged you read my blog for the dl

Beeswax said...

I got bucked off once. I had a bruisy bottom for weeks. I'm surprised Jane came back for more!

Gini said...

YOU are lucky we let her keep going around with you. I think that was the FIRST time you tried to kill her.. as I remember there were 3 total..I'm still going to tell your grampa.. maybe when he comes in February.. haha...

Shannon said...

I am seriously LAUGHING OUT LOUD!!! Dude, todd i would have been OUTTA There buddy!!
You are one LUCKY man!!;)
I am hoping the next few dates, were quite remarkable!